Thursday, June 10, 2010

Bread and Butter......pickles

I came across a recipe I found in the June 2010 issue of Country Living for Bread and Butter Pickles which I love. I read the ingredients and adapted it to my own cupboard as I didn't have a few spices but I believe the spices I have will not make the taste different just more personal. The recipe-

adapted from the recipe by Jason Robinson in Country Living Magazine 

1 pound Kirby cucumbers, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 large sweet, onion, thinly sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 cup of kosher salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup distilled vinegar

okay for my adaptations-

1 tablespoon of dry mustard
2 teaspoons of Lawry's lemon pepper seasoning
2 teaspoons finely chopped dill
3 whole cloves of garlic, peeled

1. In a medium bowl, combine cucumbers, onion, and salt; mix well. Cover mixture with ice and let sit out for 2 hours.

* If you do not have ice, like me today, cover the mixture with a plate large enough to fit over your bowl and refrigerate for 2 hours.

2. In a pot, bring sugar, vinegar and spices to a boil. Strain cucumbers (or drain with slotted spoon as I did) and add to pot. Return mixture to a boil, then remove from heat and let cool.
* At this point try not to eat any- Okay eat some because they are smelling that good. I couldn't resist!Now-

3. Store pickles, and hopefully there's quite a bit left, in a covered container for up to 3 weeks. But, I guarantee, they will not even last that long!








Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails