Monday, January 18, 2010

Happy Birthday, Dr. King

I awoke this morning at 6 am. I was thinking of what to make for breakfast.  I got on my laptop and started going through my favorite blogs because I always am inspired by life and it was here I saw an entry for Monkey Bread.  We LOVE Monkey Bread! The recipe used was from Martha Stewart but I liked the one I have used before from

Beard On Bread


Mixing



Kneading




Yay! It's finally done!




never fails me. The delicious buttery balls, enveloped in brown sugar sweetness. Bread in and of itself is a heady, and aromatic indulgence when homemade. Bliss.

I wanted to do something today with my family, the kids and myself, for the day. I thought of making a card, but then decided after searching on the internet for a nice image of Dr King and found an activity to do about creating an MLK Jr acrostic poem .

Here is the acrostic we created-

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Poole-White Family Acrostic

C is for Character
I is for Illuminate
V is for Victory
I is for Integrity
L is for Life

R is for Respect
I is for Injustice
G is for Gain and Glory
H is for Hope
T is for Truth
S is for Segregated No More

and we read

Martin's Big Words: The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

On WYNC, New York Public Radio, I continued to listen about the awful devastation facing the people in Haiti. I have been listening, viewing, and reading since the beginning. What is apparent to me is my response continues to be as sorrowful as it was upon my initial hearing. As with all natural disasters you pray and do what you can to help others in need. But, when listening to WYNC this morning I overheard a commentator state that this country's recovery is more troubling because of the lack of Haitian people who have advanced education and degrees in which the country can utilize to mobilize their country out of the devastation. The economic plight of the country will only increase due this. And this knowledge mobilizes me as a teacher. I am mobilized for change. I am .


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails